Better-than-mum's spaghetti bolognese. (Perhaps)
I've been cooking for a good few years now but don't be afraid to have a go if you haven't, it's very easy and gains great results and you would not believe how much better it tastes than the frozen one from Iceland..
So, ingredients - (I would say this serves 4 - 5 but it depends on how much you eat, don't shy away from large quantities though because it will keep in the fridge for a few days or it great to shove in the freezer if you have the room.)
- 500g mince beef/quorn mince.
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped into cubes
- 2 cloves of garlic, also chopped finely and peeled (my boyfriend grates it which is also great (ha) and fast
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 rashers of bacon, chopped (not vital if you don't have it or are veggie)
- 4tbsp tomato puree
- 2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
- 150ml beef stock
- feel free to add a splash of red wine if you have it kicking around, or even a bay leaf for flavour.
In other news, today my parents are down for the weekend and I have been taking full advantage of their willing-ness to buy me food. Today we went to Buzzy-Wares in Prince's Square for lunch, just off of Buchanan Street, where I had the most amazing burger; the 'sloppy joe' - beef with caramelised onions and mushrooms, topped with melted cheddar. I forgot to take a photo, which may be a good thing so I don't bore you all with too many food photos, but I would definitely recommend it. One of those places that you panic about what to order because you want it all.
Also, routing around in antique stores today I found (don't worry, didn't buy) this guy. Who I'll leave you with until next time...