Hello Fresh! Meal #1
With the voucher, we ended up paying £11 for a 'veggie' box, to feed two people, which had three meals in it. Of course, being the sad foodies that we are, we went for it.
|Our gorgeous ingredients delivery|
The prospect of cooking recipes I wouldn't normally be able to find/afford all the ingredients for was very exciting indeed, and so yesterday we decided to try the rigatoni. Here's how we got on... Whilst I obviously can't take credit for these recipes, I thought I would trial them to see if they are as easy/tasty as they claim to be, and so you can adapt them yourselves if you fancy!
The recipe cards they send with you are great. They give you a list of ingredients as well as instructions as to how to assemble the dish, complete with pictures. The quantities you need are already measured out; it should be as foolproof as it's possible to be in the kitchen.
The ingredients for the pasta were wonderfully fresh and seasonal, we couldn't fault the freshness and quality of the produce, even the creme fraiche came from a British farm and was of a higher standard than the stuff I normally get in Tesco.
- 250g rigatoni
- A handful of asparagus
- 1/2 cup fresh peas
- 1 tbsp dried porchini mushrooms
- 2/3 cup leeks, slices (I just used the whole leek they sent)
- 5 tbsp creme fraiche
- 1 tbsp hard italian cheese (they send pecorino) grated
- 1 tbsp parsley, finely diced.
- You start off by finely chopping your parsley, and soaking the dried mushrooms in a cup of hot water until they have softened, then chop them too.
- Snap the ends off the asparagus and chop into 2 inch pieces, then slice the leek in half lengthways, wash, then slice thinly widthways.
- Boil the asparagus and peas in a pot of boiling water for two mins. Immediately remove them and run under cold water for about 30 seconds. The recipe card tells me that this 'refreshes' the vegetables, and sure enough they are still crunchy and fresh when the meal is complete.
- Cook the pasta in the water you boiled your vegetables in, until al dente, for around about ten mins.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp olive oil (or butter), and add the peas, asparagus, leek and mushrooms when it is hot. Toss the veggies around in the pan for about five minutes.
- Add your creme fraiche and cook for 1 min. When your pasta is done, add it to the pan with the sauce and mix.
- Stir in 3/4 of the parsley. Then, serve with a sprinkle of the pecorino cheese and the rest of the parsley to garnish!