An 'Instagram-worthy' Brunch, at TriBeCa Cafe.
Come the weekend, and my Instagram is flooded with pictures of brunch from all over the world, taunting me, teasing me, laughing at my poor Wheetabix. 70% of the people I follow are foodies both from Glasgow, as well as further afield. The other 30% are, ironically, beautiful people who look like they never eat pancakes unless they are raw or possibly made from chia.
Not that I am belittling in any way. I wish more than anything I had a) a modicum of self control when it comes to food b) any motivation whatsoever to joint a gym and c) all the money in the world to spend in Roots and Fruits on beautiful, healthy and occasionally powdered ingredients.
Whilst I did visit the Juice Garden on Byres Road for the first time yesterday and had a lovely acai berry smoothie, supposedly to aid weight loss, I will never, ever say no to a burger even if it is made of beef and not falafel. Despite my (normally good) efforts to always eat healthily, which I enjoy more than I may make out, I may have to unfollow the beautiful people of Instagram for a while, or at least until I get my 'bikini' body. Ha.
This Sunday past, looking at pictures of hollandaise got too much. Having made waffles so many times of late they weren't as exciting as they should be, Calum and I decided to actually go and get brunch somewhere other than my Ikea table.
I know that at the weekend Glasgow's brunch game is on point. The small but perfectly formed North Star Cafe, just at the bottom of my road, does a cooked breakfast to rave about, but gets so busy that if you don't get down for 10am on the dot, you will only get a table by sheer luck until closing. The wonderful little Italian, run by amazing friendly people, actually won Glasgow's 'Best Cafe of the Year' yesterday, congratulations!
If you are a Glasgow native and you haven't been, you should be ashamed of yourself. I'm kidding, but go along as soon as you can for delicious fresh Italian food in the friendliest of atmospheres at very reasonable prices.
I have also tried brunch with my parents before at the gorgeous 'Epicures of Hyndland' which is beautiful and elegant, if a bit beyond my price range, but a definite recommendation.
However, me and Calum wanted to go somewhere new and we ended up at the TriBeCa Cafe, on Park Road. I have been wanting to try TriBeCa ever since I moved to the West End, but somehow have never got around to it. The menu promised the indulgence food I normally long for - big, unapologetic American cuisine, and the all day breakfast menu looked like one of the best I had seen, which made it an obvious choice.
The Park Road branch is situated just beside the bottom of Kelvingrove park, right next to Kelvinbridge Subway station, so walking along on a sunny day is really lovely.
When we were seated, it took far longer to choose than normal. The menu was full of eggs, heavenly looking buttermilk pancakes with endless toppings, gargantuan five-egg omelettes, New York style french toast, as well as burgers, sandwiches and salads. In the end I went for one of my brunch favourites, eggs florentine, and Calum went for the Brooklyn Breakfast. The best of all worlds, if your stomach can take it - a stack of buttermilk pancakes, two bacon rashers, two link sausages, two eggs in your chosen style and a cooked tomato, all served with maple syrup. By the time Calum was finished he was nearly paralysed.
My meal was similarly filling, the two poached eggs and butter wilted spinach topped a bagel, not an English muffin, making the whole thing more substantial that usual. The hollandaise was one of the best I have had so far in Glasgow; thick, creamy, sunshine-yellow and not too vinegary, which can be a killer.
Calum paired his brunch with their freshly squeezed orange juice, and I opted for the same but with lemonade. I would seriously suggest getting some tap water too, if you're thirsty, because it was really hard trying to stop ourselves drinking the wonderful juice in one go.
I would wholeheartedly recommend the TriBeCa Cafe to anyone who likes their food to be seriously gutsy, it is not for the faint-hearted or lovers of small portions. They have three locations in Glasgow including Park Road, as well as one on Dumbarton Road and one on Fenwick Road. The day menu is sublime, and from 5pm to 10pm they have a 'Smoak' menu, which offers BBQ, burgers, hotdogs and the mother of all greed, poutine. Oh, and they serve you your bill with jellybeans... when can I move in?
I'll be going back as soon as I can, to try an evening meal perhaps, or even just for another brunch and eventually one of their famous 'Snow Blizzards'. I think it will take a lot of visits to exhaust their selection.
For now though, it's time to stop procrastinating and go and do some much-needed revision. Hey, I might even make myself poached eggs for lunch, albeit in my pathetic little silicon egg poachers...