Edinburgh's best BURGER

One of my New Years resolutions (probably my only one, as I don't tend to put much stock into the things) is to stop being so lazy and BLOG MORE. So, now that I am home for Christmas and exams are over, along with the first term of second year - gulp, where has the time gone? - I am going to catch up and stay caught up.

For the first installation of my invigorated blog I am going to do a restaurant review, which will be followed by a heap of easy festive recipes. 

In terms of food, Christmas time is without doubt the most wonderful time of the year. If human beings hibernated, it wouldn't be so much of a problem. Regardless of the fact that we don't, everyone still gains ten pounds of sheer indulgence and happiness which wonderfully sets you up for the guilt and self hatred that is January. Even still, I wish it was acceptable to eat Christmas food all year round and just be fat and merry. 

I am going to start my festive series by talking about (sigh) burgers. Again. THESE burgers are acceptable though, because they are sort-of-slightly-almost Christmassy. The restaurant is called BURGER, fittingly enough, and is in Fountainbridge, Edinburgh. Knowing my weakness for anything sandwiched between two bits of bread, Calum took me one day when I was visiting on the pretence of a good, cheap burger. I've visited twice now and it definitely deserves a mention.
 The interior is unusually minimalistic and contemporary, but really lovely and straightforward. They place a refreshing emphasis on local ingredients which not only keeps prices down, but makes everything more delicious. The made-to-order burgers are wrapped in greaseproof paper and served on metal, cafeteria type trays and the whole experience is sort of like posh school dinners but oh so much better. 

The menu consists of, predictably, burgers and hotdogs. There is a classic, bacon or cheese burger, all customisable, as well as katsu-chicken and vegetarian options. The most expensive burger on the menu is £8.20, and that's a double cheese and bacon burger, with the normal price a mere £4.95. The Haus Dog, served with sauerkraut, onions, pickles and mustard is available in a pork or veggie dog, as is the chilli dog, neither costing more than seven quid. When Calum went the first time without me he got a hotdog, surprising in itself because he normally hates the things, and was very impressed. 
The two times I have visited I have had the specials, which change regularly and are always refreshingly different and delicious. 

Biblical Beef


















On my last visit, I had the "biblical beef" burger from their december winter menu. We didn't go for the whole deal which includes a main, pudding and drink for around £15 quid, because we were on our way to the cinema, but you can just order the main individually. On my biblical beef was bacon, "cheeses of Nazareth", sage and onion mayo, maple roast parsnips, tomato and godly gherkins. The whole thing was, dare I say it, like Christmas dinner but better. Paired with an order of their amazing skin-on fries and a pot of wasabi mayo (which I will definitely be making at home because it's incredible) the whole meal cost me under £15 quid. The portion size and the quality make that more than reasonable. 
Calum had the Christmas Katsu: a chicken katsu burger with cranberry chilli sauce, stir fried sprouts, chipolatas and red wine jus. He got the chilli mayo with his fries which is to die for. 

Chicken Katsu

The previous visit we both had the special at the time, which I can't remember the name of, but that was probably one of the best burgers I have ever had. For anyone who knows me, that is really saying something. It was beef, with bacon and pecan chutney (WOW), gherkins, tomato and a special kind of mayo that escapes my mind. It was so good that I didn't put it down once. That time we also had a strawberry milkshake which was spot on. 
Special number 1

As you can see, this has turned into a bit of a rave. If there was one in Glasgow, I would be doomed. Thanks to the local ingredients and simple but effective presentation keeps the food cheap and does wonders for the quality. Now that I know about it, I think it will be a regular outing in Edinburgh, especially if I'm ever going to the cinema, it's within a short walk to both Fountain Park and the Odeon. 

I highly recommend it to anyone who lives in or is visiting Edinburgh. It won't break the bank and whilst I haven't tried any of the regular menu, the specials are always amazing and so are the fries and milkshakes.  
Their motto is 'a good thing happening' and I think they're definitely right. 

Enjoy! Lindsay x



Comments

Popular Posts