The recipe I'm writing for you guys was one I cooked before going up to Findhorn though, and one I would definitely, definitely recommend trying, vegetarians and meat lovers alike. It's super for if you are a fan of spicy, BBQ-y, mexican summer food, would make a great side to a BBQ, a starter, party offering or part of a lunch of salads (as mine was). An ingenious and healthy way of combining the guilty-pleasure of buffalo wings with vegetables... gluten free cauliflower buffalo wings everyone!
I can sense how dubious you are, but trust me, even if you aren't a big cauliflower fan these are worth a try. By the time the recipe is finished they are no longer just cauliflower, but bite-sized chunks of spicy heaven.
I can't take the credit for this recipe, it's one my mum suggested I cooked, from a website called MindBodyGreen, definitely worth a skim for all the health eaters out there, which I am trying to be before I go on holiday....
- I head of cauliflower, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1 cup of garam flour (chick-pea flower) which you can find in most supermarkets or health stores
- 1 cup of water
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp melted butter
- 1/2 cup reggae reggae sauce
- 1/4 cup tomato ketchup
- 1/2 tbsp piri piri sauce (spice to taste)
Now, the recipe says to simply use 2/3 cup of hot sauce, but since I wanted mine to be particularly sticky and sweet, with a kick of spice, this is the sauce combination I used. I admit, I am no longer sure if that means they are gluten free, but they are even more delicious!
- Preheat your oven to 450F, 230C or gas mark 8.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, garlic powder, salt (I just used garlic salt instead, but either would be fine) and water. Whisk together until you have a smooth batter, and all the flour is combined.
- Toss the cauliflower in the batter, coating each chunk completely. Then, place the chunks on a greased, non stick baking tray.
- Bake for 15 mins, tossing hallway through.
- Meanwhile, combine your sauces and melted butter. When the cauliflower is done, let it cool for a minute then toss it in the hot sauce mixture. Make sure you include any battery bits that come off of the cauliflower, these are delicious too.
- Place the cauliflower back on the baking tray and bake for another 25 mins, until crispy.
I cooked them for company who all went home demanding the recipe, and I have to say they exceeded my expectations, I will definitely be making them again. They taste like a guilty treat, just not so guilty!
Now, it's back to the (potential) grind, i.e. the job hunt for me. If you're having some friends over soon, a BBQ or even just as a treat for yourself or your family, definitely try these, they are delicious!